Gonna toot my own horn for a moment while I make a point. In Jun 2006, I was asked to consult and recommend one equity that would satisfy the following criteria:
- Publicly traded
- Advanced Material, preferably nanotech
- Alternative Energy, preferably solar
- Buy-and-Hold for about 3 years
- No hedging or arbitrage (so it couldn't be a "momentum" play)
- And it would be nice if it began appreciating within 6 months
It took a lot of work. I was too ambivalent to be comfortable recommending any "solar nano" publicly traded stock.
By looking not only at financials, markets, and technology, but also considering social asset base, and companies' intellectual property and the potential for continuing to solve problems, I was able to confidently make my recommendation. It was about $9 at the time, and it has just topped $35 yesterday (about 24 months later).