1. Hydrovolts - I first saw them when they were a finalist in 2009. They have a non-solar off-grid energy solution. This is a microturbine that drops into a water canal. It's designed for extreme environments. These are smart experts who are solving the system of remote power generation issues and there is current demand for their product. They're looking to begin building their next round after the first of the year.
2. Growing Energy Labs, Inc. - They have an off- and on-grid solution for microenergy storage. They have a specific progression of ramp up for which they are seeking funding now. The executive team is polished, experienced, and highly educated.
3. Ventana - Moving further away from power generation, this is a fascinating technology within the world of waste->energy. In this case, mixed, unsorted plastics ("virgin waste") are converted to fuel. There is an 80-90% conversion rate. I can explain a bit more of the science in person, but the long story short is it's reasonable - basically they take very long hydrocarbon chains and "cut them up" into the length of fuels. The risks here are in scale-up and manufacturing. However the benefit is that it makes it cheap and less risky to mine landfills. I know this is not something particularly of interest, but it might be a good one to pass along. Amit Tandon is here through the weekend, resides near Delhi and I suspect is US-educated (very fluent verbally and culturally). Khosla Ventures was interested in him; I don't know if it would make a difference if they led the round. +91 1733 220087 email@example.com
4. Kiverdi - a bit further away is Kiverdi, which uses microorganisms to tune refining reactions, taking waste syngas and creating useable chemicals out of that. I mention it because it was very interesting. The CEO is Lisa Dyson. She has a PhD in physics from MIT, is very personable and professional, is a woman, and is black, so definitely worth keeping on the radar in general. firstname.lastname@example.org 510 394 4443. Based in SF.
5. ElectronVault - This is another energy storage play, based in Palo Alto. For more info: http://electronvault.com/solutions/off_grid/ Kathy Kennedy, VP Corp Dev, 650 425 7510 x 556 email@example.com